9.19.2006

Trinity by Leon Uris

I found Trinity by Leon Uris a huge disappointment. While there are historical events woven into the story, this is so soap opera. I have read my share of "airport books" and have found many of them satisfying and enjoyable. This, unfortunately, is not one of them. I gave it my requisite 50 pages and because of it's girth, 50 more, which I thought it a waste of time.

One reviewer says it better than I can:

"Rather than Irishmen in the book I found 1970s Americans and American sentiments and prejudices: sexually liberated women, crooked priests, female revolutionaries, protestant ministers who should have worn brown shirts rather than vestments and plenty of evil industrialists. The one big question I am left with is why Irish women were portrayed so poorly? Surely there were enough pages for the development of one woman like my grandmothers: strong, faithful, loving, intelligent and honest. As a novel it was a fine read, but as an historical fiction it was far more fiction than history. Considering Uris' biased and inaccurate portrayal of the Irish Roman Catholic Clergy and the the Church, one should be more than a little suspicious of the foundation of the whole novel. The tragedy of Ireland is real and still alive; unfortunately Trinity by Leon Uris doesn't take us very far towards any real understanding of the issue."
Amazon. com Reviewer:
Joseph Rooney

No comments: