4.04.2007

In My Language



I happened onto this video today. It moved me so much I watched it twice. And since I wanted to learn how to upload YouTube videos to my blog, I thought I would give it a go.

In My Language gave me lots to think about regarding autism, cognitive abilities, and personhood. I began to consider the subject in a totally different way. I have known people who were labeled "mentally retarded" and truly, they are seen as non-thinking, non-persons. We look upon them as helpless and weak. We pity them. And we have seen them taken advantage of. We might have even taken advantage of them ourselves.

I've wondered about it for a long time. How is it that God made them, too? Is there something we can learn from the autistic? How does this video relate to the verse: "But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise. God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, whom God made our wisdom and our righteousness." --I Corinthians 1: 27-30.

It makes me want to be more compassionate and more loving to people who don't have the same advantages that I do. It makes me think that there will be a whole different paradigm in heaven. I'm humbled by that thought and by the fact that I need to pay attention to my surroundings in a different way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linda

Thanks so much for sharing this. The video is amazing and humbling!

You might enjoy reading these two books:
Thinking in Pictures: And Other Reports from My Life with Autism by Temple Grandin
and
Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon